Businesses of all sizes can make an impact on their targeted audience, promoting their products and services, with a powerful strategy — email marketing. It entails sending targeted, personalized emails to a list of subscribers and converting them into customers or increasing customer loyalty. In this blog post, we’ll look at what email marketing is, how it works, the statistics of email marketing in the United States, and the dos and don’ts of creating effective email marketing campaigns.
What is Email Marketing?
When using this digital marketing strategy, you send targeted messages to a group of people via email. This might include a customer list or a list of subscribers. Your messages can be in the form of newsletters, promotional offers, product updates, and more. Using an effective email marketing approach will help promote your products and services, build awareness around your brand, and foster a positive relationship with customers or potential customers, all while increasing traffic and driving sales.
Free seo audit
Reach out if you are interested in having your site audited for search engine optimization by our SEO experts. With the right keywords and phrases, your site will move up in the rankings on the popular search engines, ensuring your business will be seen by your potential customers.
How does Email Marketing Work?
Email marketing works by creating a list of subscribers who have opted in to receive emails from your business. These subscribers can be existing customers, prospects, or people who have expressed interest in your products or services.
Once you have a list of subscribers, you can schedule sending them emails on a regular basis. The content of these emails can vary based on the needs of your business and the interests of your subscribers. You can use email marketing to promote new products or services, share industry news and trends, or provide valuable content that your subscribers will find valuable.
Statistics of Email Marketing in the USA
Email marketing has proven to be a highly effective marketing strategy for businesses in the USA. Check out these statistics!
- The average open rate for email marketing campaigns in the USA is 21.33% with an average click rate of 2.62% (Source: Email Marketing Statistics & Benchmarks, Mailchimp)
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return on investment is $42. (Source: Email Marketing ROI Statistics: The Ultimate List in 2023, luisazhou.com)
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened. (Source: 50+ Email Subject Line Statistics and Trends In 2023, Notify Visitors)
- Mobile devices account for 46% of all email opens. (Source: Litmus)
- The average open rate for welcome emails is 82%. (Source: GetResponse)
Get expert advice
If you have questions or would like to hear more about our marketing division, reach out and schedule a call.
Dos and Don’ts of Email Marketing
Now that we’ve covered what email marketing is and the statistics behind it, let’s look at some dos and don’ts of creating email marketing campaigns that convert.
- Personalize your emails: Use subscriber data such as name, location, and purchase history to personalize your emails and make them more relevant to your subscribers.
- Capture your audience’s attention up front: You want to capture your reader’s attention immediately to entice them to keep reading. Create an effective “hook” in the subject line to do just that! You also want them to see the relevance right away so they will want to read it. According to a report by Experian, “56% of businesses that use emojis in the subject lines of their emails enjoy increased open rates”.
- Make your emails mobile-friendly: A great deal of emails are now being opened on mobile devices, so, it’s important to design your emails with this in mind.
- Segment your email list: Use customer analytics to form groups to segment your email list. This will help create content that is high-value and relevant to specific demographics, interests, and product or service lines.
- Test and optimize your emails: A/B testing different email elements such as subject lines, images, and call-to-actions can help you identify what works best for your subscribers and improve the effectiveness of your campaigns.
- Send emails too frequently: Bombarding your subscribers with too many emails can lead to them unsubscribing or marking your emails as spam.
- Buy email lists: Purchasing email lists may appear to be a quick way to build your list, but it is not a long-term or effective strategy and is even illegal in some countries.
- Use a generic email template: Using a generic email template can make your emails look unprofessional and decrease engagement from your subscribers.
- Make your emails too ‘salesy’: While the goal of email marketing is to promote products and services, making your emails too ‘salesy’ is often superficial and aggressive. This can turn off your subscribers and decrease your open and click-through rates.
- Ignore Unsubscribes or Spam Complaints: It’s important to respect your subscribers’ preferences and their requests to unsubscribe. Ignoring unsubscribes or spam complaints can damage your brand’s reputation and lead to legal issues.
Email marketing is a cost-effective, easy-to-measure approach that businesses of all sizes and industries can use to reach out to customers and prospects, build relationships, and drive sales. Companies that invest time and resources in creating effective email marketing campaigns can see significant returns on their investment and achieve their marketing goals. Businesses can create engaging and effective email marketing campaigns that resonate with their target audience by following the dos and don’ts of email marketing. Personalizing emails, providing valuable content, and optimizing for mobile are all effective ways to boost the success of any email marketing campaign. With the increasing number of email users and the popularity of email marketing in the United States and around the world, businesses now can reach a global audience.
Are you looking for a professional team to help you harness the power of email marketing for your business? Stop searching and give Klik Digital a call! We’ve got your email marketing needs covered!